R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to tell the difference between springs if you don't know the color?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM
M3Armand
Tech Regular

Default How to tell the difference between springs if you don't know the color?

Hi guys,

Can someone show me how to tell the difference between springs (which one is harder/softer) other than squeezing them by feel? For instance, I currently have an HPI pink and gold spring but cannot tell the difference between this 18 lbs/in spring vs. 19 lbs/in spring, respectively. So if the small dab of pink and gold color that they put on these springs wear off, how can I tell which is which when I have A LOT of other color springs?

Crudely, I can get a set of weights, somehow balance and put them on the spring and then measure the deflection. But this would just tell me which spring is harder than the other. For the "HPI pink" spring, for example, which is supposedly 18 lbs/in, I should be able to put 18 lbs on it and see that it compresses 1 inch (25 mm). But this spring is only about 1 inch long to begin with. It fully compresses to 3/8 inch. Thus, the deflection is only 5/8 inch. so this tells me that I can't even test the fact that this spring is 18 lbs/in using an 18 lbs weight since I don't have enough spring length to compress... See my dilemma?

Is there some sort of tool out there that I don't know of?