R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
sickpuppy1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
XRay says explicitly not to shim the diffs. There isn't any room for internal shims, and, at least locally, I haven't seen anyone bust a ring & pinion.
You are right about what they said, but they also said they would hold up.I believe the thought was that the parts would swell as they heated up. It doesnt look like they are. And the one guy who heard the noise and stopped his buggy in time, shimmed the diff and now they are fine......read back a page or so. Do you wanna continue to have them break or find a solution to the problem. Xray's driver's may be better than the average joe and the tracks maybe not as brutal. Their design is good and the metal's are second to none, but in the interest of saving weight and rotating mass, they went to composite on the diff gears and we see what the results are turning up. If a .1mm on each side of the diff like was done will fix the issue, I say lets see how it lasts. I read the forums on all brands of buggies cause I love the sport and like to learn. I've read on more than one brand where guys say"the diff seems pretty dang tight when I got it together" and they get replies saying mine was too, give a pack or so and it will wear in fine. Maybe thats what needed here is to build it kinda tight and let it find its groove. I dont want to see this buggy go down in flames or Xray abandon it from lack of sales. I'm for finding solutions and I think this is getting a good start in the right direction.