R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - From offroad to onroad..
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM
UrabusDenis
Tech Master

I am an on-road racer, I consider myself pretty serious in 1/10 but I did a bit of 1/8 buggy racing (with sucess) and currently own a Associated 1/10 RC10B4 buggy, so I know something about offroad. Not trying to insult the off road scene, but from my experience onroad is harder. To start with, car preparation is more important then in off road and there are much more tricks to make your car work on different tracks. I remember entering 1/18 on road with a new Xray M18 Pro which I thought (logically) would be good out of the box. In the end I have changed so many parts from different versions of the platform because those are the things the fast guys do. Now my car is much closer to a normal bone stock M18. It just works much better at our track and with our rules than what Xray say is better. Next, factors such as tires and setup play a much bigger role in on road. Of course, in off road you must have a good setup in order to win, but you can nicely drive a car with a moderate setup. In on-road, a car with a setup less than good is very hard to drive and uncompetitive. When I raced 1/8 buggy (electric and nitro) I did barely any work on the car between the races, while in on road that is impossible if you want to be competitive. Furthermore, in driving you have to be much more precise to be fast, while in off road consistency (I repeat, from my experience) is more important. In 1/8 you can win by being consistent and (relatively) fast due to longer mains, while in onroad it is hard to believe you will win by only being consistent (you have to be VERY fast and not crash at all in 6 minutes ), of course this applies only if you have a healthy competition in both classes, with at least 2 or 3 mains. Hope this helps, both on road and offroad are great and have their good and bad sides