R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Sprint 2 Mods
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Velineon
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marv
The Silk Purse survived another night at Westgate.

Last week Coach said it looked like the Purse was pushing, so I added some weight to the front of the body for more front traction...{easier than changing shock springs}.
It seemed to work.

The recommended hoops @ Westgate are the pre-glued Sweep OG SPEC w/SWA-S inserts.

I was reluctant to change from my USVTA hoops, but it isn't a USVTA race...

Last night I ran a set of pre-glued Solaris S-TSHGM4B, that I had.
I was as hooked up as good as anyone I suppose, but I wasn't running balls-to-the-wall like the rest were and I spent most of my time getting out of their way...
That put me in the shitz = My tires got full of dust and glitter.

Vintage hoops are like combat boots compared to the Solaris =
Changing over lightened up the race weight a good 20 grams.

Weighing in at a petite 1660-ish grams with the Solaris (1680-ish w/Vintage) -
My car is still a friggin' tank compared to the light weight CF chassis and TC bodies.

In a field with a Schuemacher, T2 XRay, two TC5s, TC4, TC6 and a Cyclone (HPI) - The Purse took several direct and really brutal hits during the course of the evening with the worst one knocking a rear hub so hard that the camber link popped off the ball stud and she spit a dog bone.

I noticed a crack in a body seam at the rear valance panel that I neglected to glass-n-goo, but nothing major.
That's been all G&G'd now.

My ESC & switch are chassis mounted - probably not a good idea...
Last week I side banged one of the barrier ends and it shut off my ESC power switch.
That evening after I got home, I made a ESC/switch guard, sort of a nerf, for my ESC & on/off switch -

Anyway, that got smacked & got knocked loose once and knocked off once...
I'll be mounting that with screws before the next race.
But it's a damned good thing I made & installed it -
Otherwise those hits coulda wiped out my ESC & switch.

Other guys weren't so lucky: two guys trashed front control arms (the T2 Xray & the Cyclone), one fried his Tamiya Black Can (TC6) and another had his servo bite the dust (Schumacher).

And these are only 5 minute races!
But they're fast & furious and on a tight course.

Jesus! In SCT racing, the worst thing that ever happened was someone's lipos exploded and caught fire. The truck exploded too. Mostly, the worst thing that happens is that you het rear ended and get som cracks or dings. And my esc is far in board and is flawless. I have nerf bars from the chassis out to the body which are priceless.

And is the Tamiya silver can faster/more powerful than the stock Firebolt 15T?