R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
8ight-e
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
I understand all of this, but i have never ran timing, boost, or anything like that on any brushless motor. I think it's better to have the power from the start and be able to turn it down, than to not have it and stress the motor with boost or overgearing. It's for those reasons i'm wondering if it would be better to get the 4700 and turn it down, instead of trying to squeeze the power out of the 4000 if it doesn't fit my power needs.

Your description of power, maybe different than mine. The 4000 can provide enough power and top end with out a boost if you want it to just gear up, the 4000 has more torque than the 4700 it'll be just fine from really 14-16t. The trick is how much of your lipo's you eat up and how long of a run time you need to have. The 4k geared a touch lower with a little boost will be more effecient with your lipo's, it will NOT stress out ever and you can still have the same top speed down the stright a higher KV motor has. You will have the benefit of the control a slightly lower kv motor has in technical areas of the track. The 4k w/ 14t on any normal indoor track is overkill as is, with 15t on some of the rare large indoor facilities (motorama etc where you run on the 1/8 scale track). Keep in mind the stock losi SCTE motor is a 2800kv and they run that sucker geared WAY up to generate the power and a RTR with just that won motorama last year vs all the 4600,4700 motors out there.. higher kv in the same exact motor doesn't always mean more power, in fact in these vehicles it just means you gear lower to get the same top speed because any more is just wasted and ends up with a DNF due to LVC or way more crashes because you are too hot in the technical parts of the track that just don't need it to be fast.

Just an opinion, buy both and play you choice Good luck either way.