R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Transponder Design
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 AM
Bishop
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
There would likely be no financial incentive to do so, but those might be simple enough for an individual to construct for his own use. Do you have any details on how they operate?
Encased in a heap of epoxy and silicone, with a plastic outer and a mounting nub, you basically have a AMB PT of some type (likely very simular to the original unique ID AMB PT), though they add in some specific charging circuit with indication leds, and attached at a different point on the boards is a small 80mAh NiMh 1.2 volt button cell.

They require a specific 3.3volt per output charging rack to charge (that takes like a 12v or 24v power source from memory), AMB likely made a killing off them at some point, cause I'm told they once cost more than $300 per transponder, and the racks used to cost over $1500 just for the rack, entire systems were absurdly expensive.

Also the original batteries in them used to last 2-3 years, and like I said are epoxied and siliconed in place under a cap not designed to be removed, AMB basically would charge you $150 for new transponders to replace dead ones.

Of course now MyLaps discontinued them, and seems to have no plans to replace them, so it's just guys levering them open and grinding out the old cells and siliconing in new ones, and it's a painful chore.
At some point though they all seem to fail from abuse or some such thing, meaning there surely has to be a market for a clever replacement when that happens.

Even if that is just someone coming up with a new rack system and mounts, that you can slip an existing RC4 Hybrid PT into one slot, and rechargeable battery into another?, I thought about it, but coming up with like charging circuits etc is not within my own abilities, I just always have though if someone created a new sort of charging case design of some sort, they could profit selling them, or maybe not?, I guess the market would be limited as such.