R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM
terry.sc
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edhchoe
That sounds biased. Ask any newcomer to the hobby. I'd bet the fgx will get a lot more votes for realism than any solid axle chassis with a spur gear showing on the side.
Your reply is just as biased.

So, which kind of newcomer to the hobby are you talking about? If it's a true newcomer with no interest in racing they can get whatever they like, racing rules don't affect them at all. If it's a newcomer to F1 racing then they aren't starting racing because they are accurate pure scale models that are radio controlled, they are starting because they have seen a bunch of F1s going round and to join in. If a newcomer asked me which car to start with the much simpler solid axle designs are much cheaper to be competitive and considerably easier to set up and tune.

Not much of an argument against a solid axle if your only argument is that you don't think they look scale because you can see a spur gear showing with the body on, something you can't notice when it's going round a track. If you are saying a solid axle chassis doesn't look scale, then the FGX chassis and rear suspension is not particularly accurate to the real thing either and I would suggest the D-Drive F103 monocoque looks by far the best chassis available.

If you want to run an FGX then go run one, no one is stopping anyone running an FGX. But if you want to ban solid axles because they aren't scale then go and have a go at all the other non scale electric classes first.