R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gsxr0311
i hear you, but i havent ran it on carpet only an asphalt prepared track. i cant get anywhere close to my f104 times. im talking .5 sec slower and i have been racing f1 for 3 or so years now. my track has a lot of tight 180 corners and thats probably why its slower. im not saying it cant be faster than a 104 but it definately needs a lot of work to get there. i built my exotek f104v1 and threw it on the track and i get at least top 3 finish. i build this car and only manage fith or below. idk, maybe im missing something in the setup. if anybody would like to offer advice im open.
Check one of Marcus's (Mantisworx) old asphalt setups. I know at one point he was running the HPI soft front, med rear combo and his car was always fast. I run really heavy rear damper oil also, Losi 70. I get a lot of pack that way so the faster the body roll the stiffer the suspension gets. I back down on oil wt when the rear end starts to slide too much. I do like the car to be a little loose, so some rear slip is good and helps rotation. It also helps with weight transfer and keeps the front wheels on the ground in tight turns. One of my biggest finds still is to make sure the turnbuckle to the rear damper is adjusted right. If ride height goes up, the it must be longer. If it goes down, it must be shorter. I just keep the cantilever set at 90* after making final ride height adjustments. If it's too long, it'll hit the top of the inside of the damper. When it does, the car will snap spin and traction roll. Not fun. If I think of more, I'll post it.

Using the speed calc @ http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Direct Drive: 93/24 top speed - 24.97
FGX: 35/25 top speed - 26.25