R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Mark Stiles
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sacky07
Hey all. im back in the hobby after about 8 year leave. I raced 2wd off raod trucks on a carpet track set up for off road. Im back now and dont have a clue about lipo and brushless. There is a local track that runs 1/12 scale and i recently bought an older CRC fror $35 on ebay. just needs radio. it has cells and brushed motor. I was going to use this to get the hang of 1/12scale. Ive also got a bare newer lipo chassis 1s too that I am going to build to the local track spec. "novak 17.5". how many li-po batteries am i going to need? what servo should i buy? Any recomendations on a charger for a li-po newbie?? what are the pros of this 2.4ghz? what basic car set-up tools do i need? Thanks alot.
Hello,

You shouldn't need more than a couple of lipos. They aren't anywhere near as sensitive to re-charging and re-use on the same days as sub-c cells used to be.

Most of the drivers I know use a Futaba S9650 servo, and most cars are designed to fit this. Airtronics/Sanwa have a really nice little servo out at the moment that some drivers are using.

2.4GHz is great! In its infancy there were issues with 'feel' and loss of signal, but now the creases have been ironed out they are great systems. No crystals, just plug and play! For me, a half decent 2.4GHz system is a far better option than almost any 40MHz one. I can recommend Sanwa stuff as being excellent to use; they have a range to suit most budgets.

Setup tools - A ride height gauge for measuring 3-6mm in small steps. A camber gauge. Allen and nut drivers to fit your car. That's about it!