R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 AM
KC10Chief
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davinci7_gis
Ok..I just recently purchased a TC6.x and was wondering what type of motor and speed control you all like that won't cost (together) roughly the price I paid for the car kit?

The track I plan to race on is here in Texas (Porter) called Mike's Hobby Shop

I am wanting to race a 17.5 T motor on asphalt.

I am sure this was answered on an earlier post but any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was in the same boat. I got back into RC racing with a touring car! Not only that, but I got a car for my son as well. So, LOTS of money spent. To save money, I decided to get a cheaper ESC and motor and then upgrade later. My ESC is an 80A LT4 from Brushless Hobbies. They are in Oklahoma City. It's a fantastic speed control. Super easy to program and use. You don't need a programming card like you do with the Hobbywing. It's sensored and you can run boost too. Stan, the owner, is a super nice guy to talk to. Very quick with the replies to any questions I had. $63
http://www.brushlesshobbies.com/LT4-...mer_p_112.html

My motor is a 17.5T Turnigy Trackstar from Hobby King. This motor is great! I can't tell a difference between it and the expensive ones like Reedy, LRP, etc. It works great. $32.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2270KV.html

So, for less than $100, you can have a great setup. I bought mine thinking that I'd just run it until I had another $300 to blow on a Tekin ESC and maybe an LRP motor. But I'm so impressed with my setup, that I'm just going to keep it. My car is fast. I'm always catching people on the straights when I can compare top speed. I won the A-main last weekend in 17.5 blinky against guys that were running the expensive stuff. Several people came to look at my car to see if I had my end bell turned up or something. The throttle is nice and smooth on the ESC and neither one of them get very hot. Even after a 20 minute run.

If you want a great inexpensive battery pack, get the Turnigy Nano-Tech from hobby king as well. I am using 5300mah packs. They now have 6600mah packs that are the same weight as the 5300! I think I paid $30 each for my packs. The 6600s are about $43 if I remember right.