R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya M chassis? Worth the build?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveM
If you buy a new M-05 and want to race the TCS events you'll need better tires, inserts, shims, Tamiya upgrades, TRF shocks, etc.....which in the end will likely put you over the cost of a new AE TC6.1 sedan.

I'm not even including the cost of a radio and electronics. Disagree all you like, but anyone who's upgraded their mini and done the math will likely be surprised at what they actually spent in the end.
Let's go on the assumption that your AE TC6.1 will also use a radio and electronics and will also need a few upgrades to be competitive. Also, every TC that I've seen uses tires, inserts and wheels, which by the way cost more than their Mini counterparts.

Out of courtesy to you went out and checked my personal Mini which has raced in quite a few TCS events and has been very competitive. Incidentally, the car is approx. 10 years old-----try that with your TC.

Kit $120
TA03 ball diff $30
Al. front upright $40
Bearings $20
CVDs $25
TRF shocks $60
Misc odds and ends $50
Total $ 320 That's with all new parts. In my case the TRF shocks came from an old Evo 1 so my cost was $260. An M05 will cost about $50 more.

Did the math and still disagree. Also you must consider that with a Mini you can generally run a whole race weekend with one set of tires. Try that with your TC.