R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Worlds track layout. What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Rsickles
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drstrangelove
Can someone explain to me, why is it call World Champion but it seems like the car brand get more exposure than the country that the winner come from. I mean, look at World Cup for soccer, we remember the country that win but not the jersey brand or the soccer boots or the ball brand that they are using.

For this, we remember Kyosho winning, Cody King winning but how many of us relate that to the country? Like US winning? Japan winning?

I think they should call this Brand Championship rather than world. Just sharing my 2 cents.
First off, soccer is a TEAM sport with ONE TEAM. There is TEAM USA, TEAM GERMANY, TEAM JAPAN, etc. That is it. One team representing one nation. If you want to compete, you have to join your countries team.

IFMAR is an INDIVIDUAL competition, like the world championships for cycling, swimming, etc. Almost everyone in an individual competition cares more about the individual than what country they are from. It's always been that way. And even these individual competitions have brand placement. For instance, Gilbert won the men's road race, but people know he rides for team BMC and rode a BMC bike with branding placed on it. Sponsors make the world go round.