R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge 1/12 conversion car
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Brian Anthony
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hello to everyone. I've been helping Dave prototype this car and I am very pleased with what I ahev seen. The car is using the damper disks as this makes it much easier to convert what you currently have as well as keeping the price down. Plus when you look at the cars in recent years that have won national titles or have done well at "big" races they use the damper disks. The disks also seem to be more consistent

Some details on the car are as follows.

The chassis .100 graphite with the batteries running inline and as close to the t-bar as possible. This allows for the overall width of the chassis to be much narrower then most anything on the market. There are 2 small cutouts in front of the batteries as well as a cutout in the front for a servo saver. There is also a "LE" cutout in between the front suspension arms. These are put in place to take away soem weight from the thicker chassis and do not hinder the strength of the chassis. There is also a countersunk screw hole for a personal transponder in the front.

The lower pod plate is longer then a standard car so you can run a 100t spur and have no gearing issues. This longer pod also frees the car up and creates more traction. So much so that the car works best with 3 screws in the t-plate. Some say this well actually burn the rear tires off faster but in testing I have not seen it to be the case. The damper post is also moved to work with the longer plate and the rear brace is made out of chassis material to make the damper post area much more stable as well as the area for the rear body mounts.

The rear body mounts are moved further back so the body is more stable at speeds from defecting and optimizes rear end downforce.

The top plate is also designed in a way to add strength and be light at the same time to save unsprung weight.

The conversion is all the graphite parts so you don't have to go out and buy any new parts to convert your AE based car. There was talk of making it out of different colored graphite but the colored grahite is much thicker to get the desired stiffness of the thicker chassis.

Many people have always claimed that the so called factory drivers have chassises of different thicknesses so we have decided to offer two chassis thicknesses. We are still testing the thinner materials to see what is best but now you will have the ablitity to tune your car through chassis flex.

There are no bells and whistles involved to make the car look pretty or to run the price up. Leading Edge builds cars that work great with as little setup time involved so you can be on the track more. If you have ever seen one of the oval cars you will understand that it is a no nonsense approach and works great from the get go.

Feel free to ask any and all questions and I will tray and get some pics up too.

Brian Anthony