R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
OferS
Tech Initiate

Exclamation Any Reventon Pro Capacitor Issues?

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the new style capacitor that currently ships with the Reventon Pro. I had one cook off and puff on the bench a few minutes after being connected for the first time. All wiring was correct and clean. The new style capacitor has a circuit board on the end. I just sizzled on its own. Luckily I heard it sizzle and was sitting right in front of it. I had just finished calibrating the ESC to my radio and was about to take it out for a quick test run. I immediately unplugged the battery. The sizzling stopped after about 5 seconds but not before spewing capacitor juice into my chassis. I called Speed Passion Tech support. They were great (thanks Albert!). They told me to try another capacitor and see if everything else is still ok. I cut off the puffed capacitor and spliced in a new capacitor from my Reventon R kit. It's the older production type capacitor that is just a wired capacitor (no small PCB on end). Everything seems perfect now. I babysat it for 30 minutes to make sure it was stable (no smoke, yay!). Ran the car for about 10 minutes and all seems fine. It looks like the factory may have soldered the red/black wires into the PCB in reverse or a component on the small PCB failed. Anyone know what the differences or reason between the new and old Capacitors? Anyone else have any issues with the new Capacitor? Glad I didn't walk away.....never leave your LiPo's connected!