R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Radio Active
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
Ok, I've done a little reading and I won a RM01 at a local race. I already have a CRC 3.2 (2004-2006) 1/12th. I am thinking of selling it and either running the RM01 or the new CRC Xti. I would spend about the same amout of money on the TRF Hop-ups as a new CRC Xti, or close to that. I found the basic hopup list but would the car need to be full hopups to be able to run with the newer cars?

The question is, if I buy the TRF hop-ups will it be close enough to the CRC to be able to race them for the win?

I will be racing with the new AE 12R5.2 and the new CRC Xti. I will want to win and not be a mid pack runner.

I read that RedBull ran a stock kit RM01 at the TCS and did very well. We have a TCS race close to me and I would like to go, as it will be my first TCS race and I was planning on running the RM01.

The track I race at is a carpet track and the TCS race will be on asphalt.

I am thinking that I need to leave the RM01 stock for the TCS race and get the CRC to race on carpet. I would like to have just one car, but I would not mind having two.

Just looking for some input on what other people have done.

Thanks
Chris
To some extent it probably depends on your home track and the competition, but I think the RM-01 is capable. As mentioned earlier I've been using the front end on a scratch built car (why? because it only costs $15 all up), but I've found it to be a very competent piece of equipment. It's very similar to the Speed Merchant old skool front end that won the Japanese Nationals last year.

In terms of the rear suspension, it's the same ball pivot suspension every other car (just about) is running.

So then, the hot ups you'll want are those to use American wheels on the front and stiffer pod pieces. Once the graphite rear axle is released the only thing that will be letting the car down is that there really isn't quite enough ride height at the front without filing pieces.

------

Now, surely someone must know the order of the Tamiya springs from super-soft to hard? Anyone?