R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duckman996
I had a chance to try this mod last week. I didn't believe Chris when he mentioned that it changed the steering characteristics of the car - however, I am a believer now. I found that it made the steering more linear which is what I found the car was missing with my driving style. With the set-up I have on my car now - which is quite a bit different then what I have seen most running (and different then the one that Martin Crisp and I were running at the Canadian Nationals last year) - the car has become even more predictable and easier to drive for me. I can make adjustments mid-corner now and not have the car do weird things. For those that are interested in doing the mod, you'll need the following:

- Tamiya Steering Post - 417 x 2 TAM3454760
- Tamiya Steering Arm 416/417 TAM9804375*

*If you can't find these, the plastic ones from the 501X or DB01 will work, you will need to buy to plastic trees and the bearings for them. TAM49401 RC A parts - you will need two trees to get the plastic pieces you need.

You can get away with making this mod with the existing steering parts by flipping the steering posts - which I have done on my second car - however, I had these parts with me so I thought I would give them a shot.

I am confident that it is the position of the steering posts - being lower and the effect on bump steering that has made this improvement - however, I did notice that the bearings that Tamiya uses in the steering arms have less play in them (between the bearing and the aluminum arm) leading to a more slop-free steering rack.
I have a couple questions about this mod.

What is the arm length of the Tamiya arm in comparison to the Serpent arm, are they the same, shorter, longer?

What is the height of the steering rack top to the deck of the chassis when you run the Tamiya posts?

Do you get the same height of the rack when you flip the stock posts? Did you use the 4.5mm spacing?

It looks like the ackerman spacers are about 4mm, did you try this before the post mod, or do you have to do this to get the same steering rod angle as before?

Thanks