R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Carpet skills vs asphalt skills
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Yep, Nolan got it right. Those tires you're talking about have a lot more sidewall and grip than what we're using over here. It's usually Jaco Blue, Sweep Blue or Solaris Medium. They're a much less grippy tire with a very short sidewall and a lot more lateral movement.

It's a bit of a different experience. I'd be curious how your cars felt on the tracks you guys run on with one of those tires. They last quite a long time in club racing without falling off much, which is nice, but the grip characteristics are... not always that fun when you don't have great traction. It makes me miss foam sedan sometimes.
Originally Posted by Mb3195
Unfortunately for us, the UK's largest indoor permanent track closed recently, really was a shame as it was one place you could actually go and test different setups knowing what does what.

Whilst testing one day I decided on trying all tyres under the sun. Sweep, Solaris, nosram, Sorex and ride.

Sorex and ride are comfortably quicker on carpet than anything else, the solaris simply didnt work, sweep were 0.8 secs off.

The Sorex and ride were almost identical, ride carried far more corner speed bit Sorex changed direction far quicker.

I would agree with the above posts that you have to drive far more on the limit on carpet than on asphalt - making it generally harder
I wonder if the Solaris and Jaco's etc aren't better suited to the more permanent US carpet tracks where carpet grip levels could well be higher than our temporary tracks (where a black racing line never appears)