View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM

pickle311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Tuning a nitro engine does take some patience and time to learn. It's not rocket science though and you can easily decrease the learning curve by learning from someone knows what they are doing.
Maintenance wise, not that much different. You still have to maintain your diffs and shocks in the same manner.
As pointed out, you have to maintain your clutch and motor. The motor really doesn't take much maintenance. I've put 10 gallons on a motor without ever opening it up, that's a lot of running.
For the clutch, I change the bearings regularly and shoes every couple of gallons. I also clean it really well after every race and sometimes have to file the aluminum off the edge of the shoe. That's about it. It's not like I spend a bunch of time, few minutes here and there.
I spent the same amount of time on my electric as my nitro, or close to it. There's not enough difference in time to stand out to me.

The question is do you want something that's easy or do you want to challenge yourself and learn a little about nitro engines?

Electric is easy once you get it setup. Plug in your battery and go. That comes with a price too. The electronics aren't as reliable as they should be with todays technology and can be frustrating.

Nitro, you will have to tune it as the weather changes. That's part of the fun though and adds another dynamic to the racing. It's more realistic to me, you have to factor in pit strategy. If you learn how to tune your motor correctly, it's almost as easy as electric to me. Sure you have to warm up the motor and fill it with gas, but that's it. Throw it down and run.

Both are fun, both have their pros and cons. If I had to choose just 1, it would be nitro all day. It's worth dealing with the learning curve.

What area are you from? I'm sure you can find someone locally to help you out.