R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Efra rules
Thread: New Efra rules
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
MRX4XXXX
Tech Apprentice

The idea of a control tire itself is OK for me. It has been proved for many years that it works in rubber-tyre-racing.

The first thoughts that I get when I read this is that I will loose many important adjustments of my car like:
- selecting the shores my self
- selecting the the size of the tires my self (important for me!!)
- selecting the size-difference of front/rear my self
- selecting the brand of tyres my self
==> as we all know all of these have a great effect on car's handling and are important tuning-tools for the car

On the other hand in the rubber-classes you don't have the posibility to adjust/select anymore:
- tyre brand
- tyre shore
- tyre width
- insert type
- grinding of the wheel
- type of the wheel
- etc etc
==> and I don't hear anybody complaining about it

One very important factor that nobody has yet talked about is that the control tyre thing is financially a huge income to the race organizer.

To a regular racer it does not matter where he buys his tyres, but with this configuration you have to put new tyres for every heat and that is what I don't like at all. The number of sets you have to buy is BIG, compared to what it has been before. (you can run 1/8 easily 3 or even 4 heats with the same tyres if you want)

Also it is a fact that different cars needs different size of tyres. (to my knowledge, for example Serpent-guys are normally using bigger tyres than Mugen-guys...)

-X-