R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone
Hi guys, just a quick question about rear motor and diff orientation..

Could anybody explain why I haven't seen any cars with the motor the other way round and the diff on the left side of the car...? I'm sure there are speed controls that run with reversed settings on so it would be possible as far as I can tell..

I ask because it would give me a benefit in pod/motor balance at the moment, just wondering if there was some negative reason its not done?

Regards,

Andy
1. Brushed Stock and Spec motors had timing advance and were designed to run in a certain direction. This is why the gears are on the right.

2. Some BL motors have timing advance built in so they can run in only one direction. I think the Trinity D3.5 has 20 degree of timing advance at the lowest timing setting. Motors with timing at true Zero don't care how they spin, this is controlled by power wire orientation and the speed control.

3. Due to the size and weight distribution of BL motors pods have evolved into asymmetrical shapes so there would have to be a special left drive pod to accomplish this.

Most car designers make the rear pods balanced side to side for most motor combos. Is it really off by that much? Is everything on it...axle, wheels, etc?