R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Gearing question
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM
blis
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

i just installed brand new sour gears and pinion gears. on the first run after on straight i burned out my first gear.

i have good meshing and it seemed all good-
my ration are 54T/21T(1st) 50T/27T(2nd) this is what Team associated recommends on their FT version. is my second gear pinion to big and not allowing maximum gear mesh for the first gear ? what is everyone's experience with this kind of situation.

Thanks in Advance
With nitro touring, we use a module based gear system that maintains the diameter of the gears. The diameter "split" between 1st and 2nd spur should equal the diameter split of the 1st and 2nd pinion. If that's ok you should mesh well and best look for other causes as to why you are stripping. For a long time we drove with a cracked engine mount that would only flex when under load so we didnt know why we were stripping gears.

A good tip a Kiwi buddy taught me was to remove 1st Spur and mesh to 2nd gear so u can see the mesh and ensure correct alignment of the engine. Then drop first gear into place on the lay shaft and it should mesh perfectly.

If your one-way is slipping it could cause the transmission to bite and strip as well.