R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F103 Forum
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
CondeAfonso
Tech Initiate

Just took the F103GT for another drive today... Amazing!! I could round and round the track without crashing or getting out of the line once! (witch of course did not happen but that's another story.. )

I did feel the car under steering. Not on the long fast turns, but on the slow tight ones, specially on full acceleration, when coming out, witch doesn't make much sense to me, but i always had so much trouble with the rear spinning that lack of front grip was new. I understood that the softer car was allowing more weight transfer to the rear, and this should be a natural cause. Should..

I had foams on the front (from some nitro cars i bought on the local shop) and on the back rubber. I then tried to change them to see what would happen (curiosity makes this things..) and the car was uncontrollable. The back would spin so much again that the car wouldn't move forward one full meter. And this time I knew it was not suspension anymore because the car handles like on rails. Sure it's weird to see the car 'floating', almost like a boat, all over the bumpy bad cemented and dusty track, but the rear never gets lost like before. I knew for sure it was the tires.
Yes, i'm using very good tires on the back (Sorex 28 with tamiya insert, witch i don't know the softness, but its the stock TT01 kit ones) but i never knew the foam ones were so bad, that i lost all the traction. I the used the foam rear wheel tires on the front (they are waaay wider) and the car got a little more grip. Tha was like for one lap until the battery was... puff!

Another problem i've been noticing is the motor getting very very very hot. I read before in this thread that others had this issue but i don't know until what point it is normal. The can is impossible to touch. I tried silver can.. ouch! black sport tuned.. Ouch! 24 pinion, 25 pinion.. all the same, the motor gets too much hot, and the car is also not noticeable faster or slower with any. I will try to change my speed controller for the tamiya one to see if that might be a problem. I have to put my throttle travel to 96% because above that the motor just stops. Maybe the speed controller is too much for this motors? It's a Modelsport Sniper RV-20.

Anyway, first thing to do: go online and order another Sorex 28 for the front