R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to RC, question about lipo for Rustler VXL
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM
JOdrummerSH
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC, question about lipo for Rustler VXL

Hey Everyone,
I've been browsing the forums and feel like I'm imformed just enough to ask a question.

Purchased a Traxxas Rustler VXL and ran it for a bit in my apt last night on the stock 3000mAh NiMH battery, just getting a feel for driving the thing...so much practice to be done, but so much fun! Plan on just using this simple stock setup until I can actually drive the thing; way fast enough for me for now.

I also got ahead of myself and bought their 8400 mAh, 11.1v 25C LiPo battery and their 2/3 cell charger that puts out 800 mAh.

Now for the questions:
-When I decide to try the LiPo do I need to change anything else with the car to simply run it?
-I know these LiPo's can easily overheat the components with a lot of WOT, but if I'm driving fairly conservatively will I be at a definite risk?
-Would it be smart to get a different charger setup to charge faster and be able to tell exactly what the charge level of the LiPo is?
-True or not: LiPo batteries should not be run down to full empty.
-True or not: LiPo batteries should be stored at a specific charge amount

Thank you all so much! Really looking forward to joining the hobby and this community, as well as eventually catching the upgrade bug!

-josh