R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
As was posted earlier, SNR has some shock towers, but the real issue is the 2 speed. I have one that is mocked up and in the car using an OFNA support and the 2 speed out of the MRX4x car. Need to do a little machining, so you don't need special bearings that are next to un-obtanium.

I will also be looking at the shock towers with a similar set up to the ones that I have for the DM-1 car (parts can be seen on the DM-1 Thread here on RCTech)

Still have to source the drive shafts and some other parts.
I'm not a serious racer, not in Truggy, and not likely to be in GT. Therefore, I don't see any need for a 2-speed. It is just something else to provide a potential point of failure. Additionally, the 2-speeds use a "spool" in the center. While I see the advantage of that in some ways for power transfer, I don't like the idea of not having differential (front/rear) braking. If the on-road cars behave anything like the off-road ones, I suspect it would be to my advantage to be able to have a front brake bias. This of course means a center diff, which eliminates the possibility of a 2-speed.

I'm just looking at this as another toy to play with. I race for fun, and don't really take competition seriously. I'm even tempted to just get one of the less expensive cars which might not even be at all competitive- OFNA GTP, or the older, shorter Kyosho... or convert a different buggy as mentiioned above. I don't like the concept of the "lay down" shocks on the other OFNA. More moving parts = more stuff to fail. I'm open to suggestions though.