R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 AM
EAMotorsports
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alloyslash
On the subject of batteries. I got 2 of Eric Anderson's VTA 70c 5000 packs. They are rated for a 3c charge rate (15a). They are some great packs compared to what I had previously, so I want to make sure that I'm using them properly and not slowly killing the life of them

What is everyone's usual charge rates on a pack like these? I've been hitting them with about 10-12a of charge rate, would less be better on them or should I hit them with the full force? The instruction sheet said to never charge them below a 1c (5a) rate.

After a race some people "dump" their packs. Are yall discharging them to 6v and then charging back up to storage voltage ( 7.4v-7.6v)?
I replied back to your PM but I'll post here as well.

After I finish racing for the day I will just put my packs away with what ever charge is left in them after a 5-6 minute race and leave them until next race day. When I get there for the next race day I will discharge them first and then fully charge them for practice. It seems to help them last longer and perform much better all day when doing this. I normally charge at 15 amps but have gone to 20 with absolutely no issues at all...ever. But I usually only crank them up that high if I am running behind on time or forgot to charge. 12-15 is a good safe number for guys wanting to charge higher to get on the track quicker. I never store a pack below 7 volts for a long period of time either.

Thanks
EA