R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway
Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 AM
tonyv
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Barry, isn't it past your bedtime?

While I agree with what Anders and Barry have been saying to a large extent I do disagree on a basic premise. In my opinion when we talk about World Championships, European Championships and other races at this level, we are no longer talking about a "hobby".

I believe it is high time we started looking at this as a sport in it's own right. Not a copy of a big brother class of actual 1:1 cars. While we can argue that the Stratus 2 was never raced in 1:1 races I believe this should not even be an issue. The point being that if someone wanted to race a Stratus 2 in a 1:1 class, they can! The 1:1 rules would allow it as long as the race car meets the technical rules (and this includes body work).

Our rules should, in my opinion, reflect the same maturity. While the body should remain an scale representation of an actual car, it should not have to be a race car. It should however adhere to some technical rules such as the 40mm limit on the wings. The latter is for instance a good example where we already allow more than our 1:1 counterparts to enable good racing in our own sport. It is rare to see such big rear wings on 1:1 race cars...

The other problem is the homologation lists and surrounding procedures. Personally I believe we need them, but the rules could and should be relaxed significantly. Manufacturors should be able to showcase their bodies (they sponsor the events for a reason after all) which should include both their most popular types (e.g. Protoform Mazda 6) and their latest new bodies (even if not yet widely available). A Worlds is, next to a sporting event, also a major commercial event after all. For the drivers this is good as well. Drivers will be able to run their favourite body which is exactly what drivers normally complain about.

Anyway, I believe it is a good thing we finally have a final list of bodies allowed and am glad the list includes a few more of my own favourites.