R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
John.C
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I need some advice on selecting the right tire compound. I'm getting ready to run my RB6 for the first time tomorrow on a indoor clay track. This will also be my first time ever running 2wd buggy. MOD is all they run here so I need all the help that I can get. I currently have Tebo's Nats setup on my car but will make the necessary changes to get the car working throughout the day.

I have a good understanding of setup changes that'll increase/decrease mechanical grip from running onroad TC. However, I lack experience with running different tire compounds to achieve grip balance/bias. I read a post a couple of pages back mentioning that a softer compound (more grip) in the front vs. the rear will induce a push. I'm having a hard time grasping this and would appreciate it if someone can elaborate and/or clarify.

Before reading that post, my initial game plan for race day was:

1) if the traction level is low at the beginning of the day I would run a harder compound up front and a softer compound in the rear. Changes to chassis setup would be made to favor a slighly pushy car with a planted rear end.

2) as traction comes up I would dial more steering back into the car based on the cars behavior at corner entry/mid/exit. I would start going softer compound up front at this point.

3) for the Mains when the traction is (hopefully) at it's hightest, front tires would be softer compound than the rear tires.

Tires will be cleaned between rounds/runs. If the local fast guys are saucing tires, I'll get with a saucing program. Again, I'm new to 2wd buggy so my plan could be completely off. I'll be going to a brand new track with a brand new car all by myself so any help would be greatly appreciated.