R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM
hitcharide1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hey

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Phil, is it a 3 shoe? 4 shoe?
Three shoe, not like the Motonica setup, more like Kyosho w/springs. I assume it wouldn't have all the performance of the centax but I suspect it'd be a lot more reliable and for hackers like me, that extra edge in performance only means more stuff breaks when I hit the wall (and boy is that painful to admit.) The part I really like about it is that all the gears fit and it's ridiculously cheap, comes complete from the flywheel all the way out. Eh...maybe Edam is the Big Lots or Sam's Club of racing...but I buy a lot of crap from those places...lol. Only prob is I don't know if I can use it on my version of a pan. I will definitely give it a try on the 4wd, but I'd already committed to using the Kyosho GT setup (same three shoe but different size and gears.) I suspect I'll have to stay that route tho it costs me a few more bucks, but it's still looking like a one time purchase thing since Tom ate no gears or had any incident worth mentioning all year long. He'd started with those stupid aluminum shoes but ran most of the year using Traxxas two speed clutch shoes in the bell and they hold up well (plus they cost about five bucks.) Another bright side is the bearing issue...most of the bearings that will be in the pan are the same as in the GT and I can buy bearing sets off Ebay for about 11 bucks and that includes all the bearings in the drive train, plus the bearings for the bell. In all our planning and building we'll be using the Motonica as the benchmark as what to beat. For this to be more than just a venture in modelling, it's got to hold its own on the track and cost at least 1/3 less to make it viable for others to want to do it as well. Right now, not counting parts we'll make ourselves (and that anyone else could make, it's not rocket science) we're still under 200 so we're definitely on the right track as to where we want to go.