R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What are the rules for the sportsman class
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
LMRacing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'd like to say first that I'm a halfway decent driver in 1/10th 2wd electric buggy, I dont always qualify in the A-main but I placed in the A main in a few events lasy year in the top 5. I am horrible at qualifying in all classes I've ever run but for some reason make up for it in the mains. I suppose its just because it takes me a few too many laps to get comfortable and drive.

I've recently started running 1/8th nitro and when I went into it was told I should just go whole hog and run pro, I opted to run sportsman for my first race just because it made it easier because gene can pit for me and depending on how the mains fall I can still pit for him as well. It was a smart choice anyway. I'm still getting used to muscleing the car around. Its a lot different than driving an electric because the power isn't just instantly there, it takes a moment for the engine to spool up and when it does it hits a little differently. I've also had issues with not having any drag brake and having to acctually apply the brakes. I would like to be running pro, the only way to go faster is to drive with faster people, and while my fast laps are on pace with pro times I have had some amazing wrecks because I'm still a little nervous about the jumps, I'm affraid to overshoot them or accidentally hit a marshall and Im very skittish and try to be aware of whats over the jump before I get there. My average lap times put me in the way in the B-main of pro, and while I have no problems myself with being in the Z-main of any class I also dont want to be in the way and drive worse the better other people are on the track to try and stay out of the way. knowing that racers in my class are about the same speed as me just lets me concentraite more on my driving and less on where other people are on the track making it more fun.

If I ended up in shay's 1/8th qualifier I'd be pulling over every other lap for him and others and would spend more time on the side of the road than I would be driving. While yes if there was a qualifier to sort and then throw everybody in the mains they belong in it means that I would lose a qualifier of run time and could end up in a lower position than I should be because I spent more time letting other drivers pass than I did driving.

As for the requirements, I agree with it should be bassed on average lap time and nothing else. my opinion has always been I dont care how long you've been driving, or what you've been driving, if its your first time in that class of car you should run the sportsman class for one qualifier just to see where you belong. If you run consistantly and halfway decently and want to run pro, go for it, but if you're causing accidents and all over you're probobly where you need to be for a few races. If your borrowing somebodys car to give it a try I belive you belong in sportsman for your first race as well, because your just getting a feel for the car, unless of course your 5 or 6 laps over 2nd after the first qualifier, then obviously you need to bump.

Also I belive if you blow up your engine in the first qualifier because you didn't know your air filter needs oil, you should probobly run sportsman (or be wearing a helmet) to pick up a few pointers J/k, you know I love you Mark