R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What are the rules for the sportsman class
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
rc31cli
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ok

let me set the world straight. the way i was taught growing up is once you win three sportsman races, you go to pro. or if any of your times beat a pros in the main then you go to pro. and yes the .21 125cc 1/8th tires are all correct. now for the sponsorship if you even have a 10% deal with avid or jconcepts it is still a sponsorship. you run pro no exceptions. obviously if the sponsor gave you that 10 percent deal then they had enough belief in you that you would one day be at the top. when i was 10 i used to race 1/10 gas truck and i always finished 2nd to paul conway boy was he fast lol. but i never had an 8th scale. money got hard and at the time my mom told me i could get sponsored and keep racing or quit. well i searched for someone to sponsor me for months , until i came across a company called cen racing. this is before losi ever came out with a 8th scale buggy. i had no resume and simply told them my story and asked for a chance. my first ever 8th scale race was in nashville at thunder. this was a big race too there was over 250 racers and probably around 80 prodrivers. guess what i finished dead last. i refused to race sportsman simply because i had a little 50 percent deal. but by the way i was taught if you have any kind of sponsor and very little experience you still need to enter pro. take the last series race we had the ngsns
-- SPORTSMAN BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 36 20:31.78 Derrick Rather
2 2 35 20:26.92 ALAN FUNDORA
3 3 33 20:06.20 Austin Hughes

okay now the pro times

-- PRO BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 39 20:09.32 Coty Ingram
2 2 39 20:25.24 Dustin Bunch
3 3 38 20:10.71 Paul Conway
4 4 37 20:08.50 Ed Weaver
5 5 35 20:18.21 Matt Bevil
6 8 35 20:21.28 Keith Wilikins
7 7 34 20:17.19 Heywood Barton
before you read iam just using these people as examples. iam friends with these two guys.
derrick had 36 laps and alan had 35 derrick would of finished 5th in pro and alan would of finished 7th in the pro class. now i watched the sportman amian and alan is fast but he just wrecked a little more than derrick, alan could of won it too. now im not saying that these are the only two people that should bump. austin is moving on up in this rc world too. there are about 5 or 6 people who should really bump to pro but wont because they say we are too fast. guys you get faster by trying to run down the faster guys. you find there lines you figure out how hard you can run into that corner and you also push the boundaries of an rc car. two years ago i went to the pnb with not one sponsor. i still entered pro because i know where i stand. in the entire protruggy amian i was the only person completely un sponsored. so what happened i brought back 4th place and a podium finish. even if you dont have a single sponsor you are going to spend the same amount of money running sportsman as you would running pro. just bump already stop procrastinating. heywould bumped knowing it was his time. let the other guys who are the real sportsman have their class back.