R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak help needed
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Andy Koback
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter george
I have tried to find any thread or any posts regarding Novak speedo's but have had no luck.I will post the problem and hope someone can give me some advise. A buddy of mine bought the sc combo with a 4.5 550 can motor for 4x4 sc and had issues with the speedo after two weekends running it. He returned it to Novak and they sent him a new one sealed in the box,he decided to keep the motor but sell the speedo so I bought it from him for 100 bucks. I kept it in my pit box until I needed it...so when time came I put it in my 0fna 10sc and ran it for two weekends.I race twice a month, I used the 13 tooth mod -1 pinion that is recomended by Novak on their site and the truck ran great. Great until the third weekend racing when it just stopped running.I brought it back to the pits and re-set it and binded it and made sure my glitch buster was on cause I was using a digital servo.After programing it it would steer but the wheels would not turn when I hit the gas. I spun the wheels by hand while holding the trigger and the motor came to life and the wheels spun like they should. If its rolling on the track its fine and has plenty of power but if it comes to a complete stop...it needs to be pushed to go,almost like when using a brushed motor that has dirty brushes. The motor is a speed passion 4.5 turn 550 can motor and I thought that it was the motor issue but when I put in my HobbyWing speed control it worked fine and I finished the race weekend with no other issue.Therefor I figured it was not a motor issue. I called Novak and was told that they cant do anything other than sell me another for 75 bucks if I send them this one back.They claim they dont do repairs and there is nothing they can do. I found that weird cause I always had good experience with Novak but now I got the impression that they dont care.They even had a tech guy talk to me and tell me that its not cost effective for them to diagnose the speedo's. But they do sell refurbished ones on their site...so whats the deal ? Is this something that anyone has had happen to them? is there a fix for it without sending it in? I dont want to pay another 75 only to be told that same thing next time. Also I though of getting it and selling it but how much can I sell it for since they go for about 90 on rc tech. Am I stuck with a paperweight with wires coming out of it ? Any help will sure be appreciated,thanks Pete.
I had the same issue with a Oval Spec. ESC. Ran fine the first 6-7 minutes and then needed a push start too. Sent it back with the receipt and they sent me a new one. Then sold it. Ditto on e-mailing charlie.
([email protected]) Have your buddy do it for you.