R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Championship Series
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
rtypec
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Paging any Tamiya Carpet Gurus

Does anybody have any experience with Tamiya type-a and type-c tires on carpet?

I've been practicing at our local carpet track during the last couple of weekends in order to prepare for the TWC. Some basic, general testing and setup work have been done but I've come to a fork in the road and don't know which direction to head. I would appreciate your opinion on which tire has more potential with producing fast laps on a low-medium bite carpet track.

On type-a tires, the car rotates nicely but feels a a bit too free during the last third of a corner under power, resulting in harder to drive car. I can get around okay but I really have to pay attention to what the car is doing and react accordingly. Please see the video below that demonstrates how my car looks with these tires:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

With type-c tires, the car is snug and well balanced with a touch of understeer. However, the more noticable screeching noises while cornering gives me the impression that it's not carrying corner speed. That being said, I can adjust to it and put the car anywhere and really get on the throttle. If you listen carefully to the next video, you can hear that lap times are about the same, if not a tenth faster with the type-c tires.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Please keep in mind that I have extremely limited carpet experience...like fewer than five races...and am open to any suggestions that you may have. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rtypec; 10-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.