R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2 second slower
Thread: 2 second slower
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
TwoWheel
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
Well, it is 10.5t in 1/10 on road class. The fastest guy on the track is 16.xx second per laps and i have 2 second gap. I have driven this car for a few month. I think i know some intermediate car setup and i own my setup system. Actually i drive with a relatively used tire that about 4-5 battery.
Originally Posted by b.wihardja
Yes i am consistent with my lap times
This still really does not tell us anything.

Just for some perspective, I also autocross with the SCCA quite a bit, and 2 seconds on a 60-70 second course is a huge margin.

In terms of setup for autocross, at the regional level, tires can give you 2 seconds, suspension/setup can give you maybe another 1 second.

If you were to scale that time down to r/c course times, theoretically speaking, you are gaining only 0.75-1.00 second AT BEST with the best setup/tires. Now there are exceptions, but as I've mentioned in earlier posts, you should have done your research in terms of what tires work best for a specific class, if your track uses a spec tire, then that can't be a factor.

You are 2 seconds off on a 16 second course. That is an absolutely colossal margin, relatively speaking.

Think about that for a minute.

While I'm not directing this squarely at the O.P., but you could be consistent but be consistently bad in your driving habits.

Are you using the entire track to maintain corner speed? Are you using the correct entry speed and not over-speeding into the corner? Are you hitting ALL of your apexes and staying on your line lap after lap? Are you applying the throttle at the exit so as you don't ever have to let off the throttle again until the next corner? Can you apply that throttle sooner? Can you brake later?

Pick one thing from above and improve upon it, and when you think you have done your best, ask someone faster to drive your car and observe. If you are at the same pace/technique on the fundamental skill you have chosen, then pick something else.