R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot
looking at your picture and looking at the 22 with a full sized lipo, the rb6 does have the full sized lipo further forward, but i wonder if that is because the RB6 is 100% built to run the shorty, i doubt we'll see too many, if any pros running the long batts (the Orion WTS counts as a shorty IMO).

obviously according to ROAR (IFMAR?) the car has to be built to take the long sticks but in offroad less and less are in buggies, but the diesigners at Kyosho know its better with the short pack
Like I just posted in the RB5 thread, it really depends on your traction levels. On a medium or low bite track, having a slightly porky car can actually be faster around the track because weight creates traction. If you have really really high levels of traction, like carpet or turf, traction is never an issue, so doing whatever it takes to get down to the weight minimum will certainly be the fastest.

Having said THAT, there is something else to consider, and that is pack voltage drop over time. If I am running a 6500 mah battery, and you are running a 4000 shorty... what will the voltage difference be between the two packs at the end of a heated run? I did quite a bit of testing between a 4000 shorty, and a 6500 full pack in 17.5 buggy (RB5 WC), and the car was noticeably faster towards the middle and end of the race with the larger MAH pack. The shorty would come off the track at like 7.7 volts, and the full pack was coming off at 8.15 with the same run. Having said that, the RB5 is a lighter car so the heavier pack was no big deal... on this car im not so sure yet. All I know is I hate the "feel" of the smaller mah packs because of how fast the voltage tanks compare to the larger MAH pack.

Sorry for the ramblings!