R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Checking IR of lipo's.
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
narcotiks
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
While discharging to 3v is supposed to be ok it does reduce the life of the pack. I never cycle packs or discharge them more than whatever the motor takes out in a run and I always balance charge (although my cells are always fine).

Whether is a Revtech pack for $120 or a Turnigy pack for $45, just about ALL of the Lipo's on the market are really good and will run the same on the track. Unless you are mixing it up in Mod Sedan with Lemieux and Hebert every weekend and get packs for free checking the IR is not worth it.
Some batteries are better quality, are made with better materials, and have a lower IR due to their build quality. What you said is somewhat correct in saying that, someone who isn't looking for an advantage out of a battery wont notice the difference, but someone who is looking for the advantage will notice the difference. Packs with higher IR tend to have a performing well lifespan that is significantly shorter than a pack with a lower IR. Higher IR packs or bad quality packs can also make your performance fade towards the end of a race.
When beginners start out they obviously buy the cheaper batteries, and as they get better they buy the better batteries that are a tad more expensive, looking for some advantage due to a performance lack. If the really cheap packs were amazingly good, beginners would stay with them, and we'd probably be using them too haha !!