R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-T
Thread: Losi XXX-T
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM
R.Shackleford
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tlee13
Well the 20t isn't new, sorry didn't mean to confused you. The 20t was the motor I was using before hand, then I got my 10t motor with my tazer 10t esc.
Is the 10 turn an Orion Method R? If you over geared the new motor, and got it too hot, it likely cooked the commutator and brushes. A brushed motors performance relies very heavily on a clean, perfectly round commutator, and brushes with certain metallic and lubricational properties. When you overheat a brushed motor it cooks the lubricant out of the brushes, and oxidizes the copper of the commutator. This causes a very rapid buildup of carbon on the commutator; the carbon comes from the cooked brushes. Once there is carbon built up on the commutator the current flow is greatly reduced, thus causing the motor to run at a severely lower level of performance.

Overheat a brushed motor, even once, and a rebuild is in order. Also, like I have posted elsewhere before. Brushed motors are antiquated and inconvenient, especially with how cheap a brushless setup can be purchased. Basically, the brushed motors still available are not nearly the quality of high performance brushed motors of years gone by.