R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 08:00 PM
JAG Racing
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Just a FYI for you, I would not go nuts on the lightening. I have really lightened my car up, but in fact the only handling trait that becomes better is transitional and the slightly heavier car does make the car much more planted feeling. If you are doing well with the car I would not change it yet too much.
Thanks for the input AMG....from a physics standpoint, lighter is better < up to a point of diminishing returns of course >. This obviously changes the optimal set-up parameters but I would assume one could acheive this through chassis tuning, etc. Putting handling aside, deccelaration and acceleration characteristics would benefit alone making it worthwhile.

I don't recall any Formula 1 or NASCAR team preferring extra weigth

I don't plan to spend too much time/money on lightening the R40. I prefer saying that I run the car stock but I guess part of the fun in this hobby is "over-design" and over-thinking. I just put in the AAA size batteries and saved > 30 grams! Now hopefully the 700mA pack can last a full day of racing

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the weight savings on the lightened 2-speed? < I realize the difference in static and dynamic weight>

Last edited by JAG Racing; 09-30-2004 at 08:05 PM.