R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What Do You Guys Run On-Road?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
bshookup
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
I know you guys hate newbie questions.. I can't totally call myself a newbie, I have been tinkering with buggies for 30 years. However, I have an itch to get a new car and I have plenty of off-road cars and have never really thought about an on-road car until now. I have poked around the web a bit and of course everyone always says to ask the locals and that is pretty much the crew here.

So.. What do you guys run for parking lot racing? I have always liked Tamiya products and would lean toward TRF kits, but as you guys know parts for Tamiya products are mail order only. My primary use will be parking lot racing and who knows if I will end up doing any carpet racing or not. I will probably build my first car for pavement and if I decide I like it enough I will build another for carpet. I do want something I can fit a standard LiPo hard case pack in (if possible) and unlimited motor and gear options.

I must be old because I always thought ultra-light RWD was the way to go (like pan cars) but it looks like just about every modern car is AWD.

Anyway, replies are definitely appreciated!!
Asking the locals is always a great idea. Where in the Northwest are you hoping to hit the pavement? Are there any particular tracks that you are hoping to race at. There may be some differences within the Northwest region.

In, general the most popular on road cars are 190mm 4wd touring cars such as the Tamiya TA06 or 417. You can have fun with cars ranging in price from the Associated TC4 for $150 or a high dollar car such as the $500ish Tamiya 417 or XRAY T3 or T4. In the Tacoma/Seattle area the Associated TC6.1 and XRAY cars seem to be the most popular. If you are a Tamiya fan, then I see no reason to not get a Tamiya and bring some spares to the track for when you break. The only draw back may be it will probably cost a little more cash to keep a 417 running than a less expensive car.

In your post you mentioned direct drive rear wheel drive pan cars. Another great option would be to pick up a Tamiya F104. They fit standard batteries, look great, don't cost a ton, and are fun to drive. They aren't as popular, but depending on where you live, it may be an option.