R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Farmer_John
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now keep in mind that I am preaching to the choir, but you mention that back in the day, you had to build all kits. I miss having to build every car that I want to race. In my Aircraft days, I used to love ordering up a set of plans from RCM, hand picking the woods for construction, modifying the airframe where I felt I could lighten or strengthen it up. I used Kraft radios until they were no longer considered serviceable.

I was a hobbyist. A tinkerer. Astro Flight and Enya were on my speed dial.

I believe without being cynical that there are few hobbyists left in our hobby. There are certainly a whole bunch enthusiasts, but rollers, ARFs, RTRs have taken the hobby out of the hobby. I know a large group of off roaders that don't have a clue of how to solder a new motor or battery terminal together. Simple tasks like replacing arms or C hubs are frustrating. Lord help them if they need to swap out a servo.

It's not a hobby to most anymore. It's a pass time. Instant gratification.

I've seen manual scoring done. Couple of weeks later I learned what a transponder was. In the RC Car world, I'm a youngster...

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Which came first: the dimise of on-road or the lazy, "I need instant gratiifcation" racer? What you mention has some merit but there will never be RTR on-road gas cars to rival those available for off road and bashing.

As far as lack of tracks, you are dating youself!! lol Every parking lot used to be a potential track. We all became spoiled with permanent tracks and won't even consider a little work to race.. (This is a comment on the state of RC racing and the world in general IMHO!) Ever hear of "Race, Marshall, SCORE"? I doubt it!!

You recognize the cost and complexity issue, but back in the day, you had to build all cars, paint all the bodies, etc., AND set-up the track to race. There's a coountry song "Beer is good, people are crazy" Should be "LAZY" lol
Bottom line is what you mention about "Instant Gratification". Very few are
willing to put in the effort to race on-road, period, fewer all the time!

(Possibly) Interesting old guy recollection: When I first heard the term "Instant Gratification" is was from a fellow One-Eight Racers Club member, John Temme. The club had stopped giving out awards at the race track, the logic being most of us had plenty and didn't want more. We changed to a system of awarding all the awards at the end of season Banquet (Ask Lon Sr. what a Club Awards Banquet was all about.) John thought we were not giving any "Instant Gratificaton" to the newer guys and even small trophies, awarded at the track, might help attract and keep more races.

Next there will be guys showing up just to race some one elses car!!