R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM
mdwalsh
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Boomer
The reason it could change gear mesh is that you have two things - spur and pinion - which are connected to separate pieces.

spur is locked to the center of the car and pinion is locked to the motor which is locked to the "wing"

When you take away the bracing that keeps the "wing" rigid to the center of the car, you allow it to flex which can change the distance between the pinion (locked to the "wing") and the spur, which means the mesh changes. . .

Springs aren't expensive and are a great tuning option. I would buy them before I cut away structure. . .
i get that... but i twisted the chassis more than i really felt comfortable doing without the braces and had my buddy check the mesh with it twisted and it hadnt changed.

the distance between them is locked by the motor mount. what changes is the position of the pinion on the spur. ex- the spur is like .3in wide and the pinion is like .25in wide, and with the pinion centered on the spur the flex causes the pinion to go from edge to edge on the spur, but the distance from spur center and motor center doesnt change

Matt