R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Legalise Software *Fixed* Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Radio Active
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The timing boards employed by Speed Passion are already an electronic means of adjusting timing, albeit hardware rather than software. I can see them possibly developing a board that you program rather than going to the same endbell design as everyone else in order to keep the advantage they have with the wire orientation.

If that happens that would be legal as the rules currently stand, and the only difference between that and what I am suggesting is where you plug in to.

-----

Really, I can't see the difference between learning to twist the endbell, and learning to program timing through a menu. The current generation are far more used to the latter, they would surely find that easier.

In the very first post I made on the thread I outlined how you would change the technical specification to define what fixed timing actually is. That would make it clear the distinction between the two. In a way twisting the endbell already gets around the ESC rules. Given that, it doesn't make any sense to ban the same adjustment made in a different way.

-----

What you describe sounds like a step forward, but it's a whole new specification. One of your arguments against this idea is that everyone is happy with the current system... This idea would change the spec of the cars, mine doesn't. Change isn't necessarily bad, but I don't see this point as consistent with your argument.