R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Legalise Software *Fixed* Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 AM
ta04evah
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Really guys this thread about blinky again... I think stock/Blinky is really pain in the a$$ if you don't wanna deal with it grow some webos and just run open MOD if you get beat you know it's fair and square their is no special program or software it's all about driving skills... But really running stock is more expensive than MOD tryin to get a slow motor to go fast just don't make sence....
Dear Sir, while your right to voice your opinion here is a good thing, this thread is not about how "mod is better than stock, blinky, non boosted, blah blah blah"
The discussion within this thread is about whether to, or not allow *fixed* timing on the esc within blinky mode.

If you feel a need to shed tears trying to argue about mod/boost etc is better than everything else, then there is ample threads available to gain sympathy from others that share your view point.

Originally Posted by Bishop
I just think it's hard enough to convince some newer or even older racers to actually use the proper blinky firmwares, others can't even figure out how to flash or switch them into blinky mode.

So yet another firmware will just complicate it even more, it's not being helped that most ESC don't come in blinky mode, then you get a handful of people who just think winding down the 'boost' settings should make them legal, but the reality is many are 'still' pushing some timing to the motor even run like that.
This is so very true, and I witnessed an example of this recently. If it wasn't for one of our members that is trying their best to help some new comers to the hobby with a relatively new model of esc they would still be running the esc in dynamic timing mode. *instead of having it set to blinky mode*

Originally Posted by Radio Active
You don't necessarily need a program box or PC to change timing, many ESCs have settings that you go through a menu on, it would be easy to have timing as one of these settings on existing ESCs with a firmware update.
I will give you 3 examples of the instruction manuals of widely used esc's that can do both timing and 0 timing modes. Sure the Speed Passion example may be a bit of an overkill but place yourself in a newbies shoes and look for information within those manuals about how to set said esc's into blinky mode.
In the hobbywing example all it mentions is that 0 timing is an optional firmware, and that you HAVE to use the LCD box & PC to update the firmware to 0 timing. It can not be done through the menu system of the esc.

http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/RSManual.pdf
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles.../HW-09-XST.pdf
http://www.racing-cars.com/images/GT2_LPF_Manual.pdf

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Also, from an Australian perspective, no one has ever voted for the specs we have for blinky, we're slaves to the ROAR specifications.
True I will grant you that, however we adopted the ROAR specifications to keep things simple and to avoid any misunderstanding of the rules.
This also includes batteries & motors that can only be used in sanctioned events within Australia that appear on the approval lists, which one of them is the ROAR listings.

You're basing your argument that we are slaves to the ROAR rules, yet you want ROAR to take on board the changes you are proposing?

Please excuse my skepticism here but you do seem to be contradicting yourself often in this discussion.

Cheers
Rob.

Last edited by ta04evah; 09-11-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Description error & amendment