R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Legalise Software *Fixed* Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM
wollow86
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Also if you add timing on the esc along with on the motor which many will do to get that speed advantage, you're setting up an environment to even more push motors to the limit and go up in a puff of smoke. As you well know there will always be some that pour large amounts of their pay packets into the hobby, will timing on the esc escalate this even more?
This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Now I do see your point, in equalising a 0 timing motor to one that has timing adjustments. Locally we are doing something similar in F1, as one of the guys doesn't have a blinky esc, but its not a dynamic esc either. It has fixed timing settings, from ~10 to 28 degrees. I am running an adjustable motor with 0 to 20 degrees timing and a blinky only esc. The cars are very equal on performance.

But what if I was running an esc with the timing option, and a motor with the timing option, wouldn't I now have access to much more timing? Not necessarily going to be a huge advantage, but having access to more timing then the next guy has to be worth something? And a lot of the blinky only ESCs are not software update-able, which means if it was true you have more of a disadvantage and therefore need a new esc?

The only way I see it working is if there was a limit on additional timing as a combination. Lets say that's something like 20*, if your motor can only have 10* the esc could let you have another 10*. If you motor had 0 then the esc lets you have 20. If your motor has 20 or more, then you cant have any additional timing in the ESC. That would achieve the effect your looking for. But I have no idea if something like that is even possible? The esc would either need to detect how much timing the motor can have, or how much timing it is set to.