R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Legalise Software *Fixed* Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Radio Active
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
So you want to add an additional factor into motor/car tuning to make it easier for those new to the hobby and new to brushless motors?

As for buying the "wrong" motor, that doesn't present a valid point as I and others have successfully proven at club level that you can be competitive & win with a 0 timing motor if you gear it correctly.

Recently at the last Club Challenge held at SMA Matt Brabant in 21.5 blinky used a 0 timing Hobbywing motor in the 2 & 3rd legs of the A finals and his results were consistent with his previous times during the day.
With skill, car setup knowledge, track knowledge and correct gearing he placed 5th on the day ahead of many others using motors with timing that vary between 10-50 degree's.

Also if you add timing on the esc along with on the motor which many will do to get that speed advantage, you're setting up an environment to even more push motors to the limit and go up in a puff of smoke. As you well know there will always be some that pour large amounts of their pay packets into the hobby, will timing on the esc escalate this even more?

And I am taking a close look and seeing negatives which I am here trying to make you aware of them.

Cheers
Rob.

Ok Rob, I'll try and address your concerns.

There is no difference between over gearing and over timing a motor, both will result in a dead motor.

The idea behind timing on the ESC is partly to reduce the strain on your pay packet, it will give older motors a new lease of life. It also means that timing boards on certain motors wouldn't be necessary.

I'm sure in the right circumstances you can do well with the HW 0 timed motor, but that's not been the experience of people I've talked to. And from racing offroad Stock I know that playing with my timing rather than just my gearing (as I did to begin with) has definitely helped my car go faster.

Also, gearing is only an option if you have a car you can fit the pinion and spur on that you need. There are still plenty of entry level kits out there that aren't capable of being geared appropriately in 21.5 blinky without timing. Not to mention that the spurs and pinions you need are hard to find if you are a beginner.