R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Version 2
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
Yep, I have been using tam med on the front kingpins and got some relief with hard as the grip increased. My setup differs from the one fred posted in that i was running med front springs, pink side springs and 600cst in the side damper and 2mm pod droop measured on blocks. My pod moves nice a free and the cars works very well in cooler conditions but at tamiya nats is was a pile once the sun came out. I was thinking maybe stiff center & side springs with extra heavy dampening may react more like the t-bar suspension and smooth the car out or do you think it would be better to work on a more aggressive chassis setup with kit fronts? Have you tried doing anything with the tires, inserts maybe? Is buggy grip the wrong sauce for the track?

Mark
I noticed the first year I went out to the Tamiya track, all the F1 cars were chattering the front ends badly, but a lot of guys ran black springs since the cars were so loose on the old tires. The guy who won, Danny, had a lot of chatter in the front of his car, but it was fast.

I have also used up to 120K diff oil on the front kingpins in super hot weather (99*F and 99% humidity, ugh). That was on a medium to high grip VHT track on the old tires. Somehow, I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but in reality not only did it make a huge difference in the hopping, the car was MUCH more responsive.

One other thing I found at that same race was that the height of the ballstud for the shock on the pod is pretty sensitive. Lowering the ballstud will free the car up, and raising it will lock the car in. Maybe lowering your ballstud would help get the car freed up mid corner?