R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
YoDog
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by willo76
Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
That's a lot of timing advance for a 4.5t motor. You probably over reved it.
the smaller rotor should handle the higher RPM that you are hitting on such a large track better. If you wish to continue to run mod, I would suggest getting a couple of different motors. Perhaps a 5.5t and a 6.5t in order to figure out the best combination.