R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - On-Road Steering Setup
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
gubbs3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First, not to call anyone out, but saying 85% dual rate means nothing. Max mechanical throw is accurate and may be achieved with 48 or 117% dual rate depending on the mechanical travel needed which varies with every car, every radio, servo, and linkage setting. It is very important to make sure your servo is not attempting to pull further than the linkage is capable. Also zero expo will actually yield a more sensitive response around center since the circular rotation of the servo horn yields the highest throw at 90 degrees and approaches zero at 180 degrees. But this isn't a discussion about linkage setup, its steering inputs vs. throw.

A few very important differences between real cars and r/c. A few have been mentioned already so this may be slightly redundant.

1) Sheer speed. Take for example Silverstone. 18 turns with a lap record around 1:30. Even the massively fast F1 cars get a whooping 5 seconds/turn avg where an r/c might negotiate an 18 turn track in 20 seconds (or less). That's 1.1 seconds/turn avg. That means your reaction times essentially need to be 5 times faster than F1. (its late and this is super generalized so don't pick this comparison apart too much)

2) Disconnect of not being able to feel the car react to your inputs. This is made worse if your vision is not perfect, the car gets farther away, and the quality of your equipment.

I feel these are the two biggest reasons why we need the helping factor of turning lock to lock to be able to get around a corner with a reasonable amount of consistency. I would prefer a transmitter that would have a good 180-270 degrees of rotation in the wheel to allow a finer input with max throw still available but thats not available so we adjust to what we have. However, this may be a problem because if you get too much wheel turn, that 1.1 seconds/corner may get to be too fast to get the wheel to the other side quickly enough and with some amount of accuracy.

To add to my previous reasons I would also like to know how the scrub angles we run at differ to full scale. To start, with zero scrub you need X amount of degrees to get around a turn but you can gain traction up to a certain scrub past the minimum, X+n. It seems to me that our reduced scale leads us to be able to use a higher scrub angle without as significant loss in traction as a full scale vehicle. This could possibly be because the ultra light weight (when compared to full scale) make the comparative tire compounds significantly harder than full scale. Hence, no tire marks when we spin off into a corner. Anything else I can think of now is pure speculation so I will just stop.

Last edited by gubbs3; 08-30-2012 at 10:14 PM.