R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 AM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MatJ
Hello, been back from holidays and going to race this weekend.
But I had a question regarding inboard toe blocks.
First of, when I first bought my 417, the rear came with XA-E blocks, which I ran at a medium-high grip carpet track for about 2 month until a fast driver told me to swap to 1X-1F blocks in the rear. This resulted in a slightly wider rear width but with the same toe in as before. And since then, I have kept the 1X-1F blocks and I was wondering if I should consider getting new blocks or going back to the old blocks. (I Now run on a lower grip/tighter carpet track compared to before.)
What is the effect of the rear blocks/rear width please ?

And finally, does anyone have a clear explanation with the physics explained between different suspension blocks. (Such as B, D, C blocks and so on.)
What do they do ?
What I don't get is that even if people change their suspension blocks, they would compensate the toe change with the toe links. So whats the point of changing the inboard toe blocks ?

Thanks alot
Originally Posted by robk
Congratulations Jilles...

What effect did you find going to the XC and C block in the rear of the car? I have liked B blocks on the front of my car, what would changing the rear to XC and C do?
Originally Posted by JGH

Thanks! For the Worlds we made the car more narrow, which gave more traction especially on old tyres! For hi traction I recommend to use normal XA-E blocks rear and 1C front.
I have tried this, and as Jilles said, going narrower provides more grip. Going back to the XA E setup should put some more bite into the car.

One thing to remember is that changing the blocks moves the arm in relation to the shock tower, as well as the outer camber location to the bulkhead as well. So it's not just a question of the width