R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Viking73
Hi Paul.
Thanx for the reply.

The next race is on a medium small track with a long straight on 40 meters.
It has 1 large 45 degrees turns on each side, and has 5 180degrees turns.

I have the latest software and a standard 13.5T motor. No special rotor.

When I go on a larger track, will the main changes a couple of teeth down on the pinion?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards

OJ
Hi OJ. will give you a couple set ups. no guarantees but this is what i would start with. I assume you are running boosted but i will give you a non boost set up as well just in case.

Non boost speedo with stock rotor: 4.7 overall ratio, 30 deg timing.
Non boost speedo with green rotor: 4.5 overall ratio, 33deg timing.
as always keep an eye on temps to make sure it is not getting over 90c, 80-85C is the target, I reccommend a fan on the motor, I think that the green rotor set up would be best.

For boosted i would tune the speedo to the temp (start slow and turn the speedo up until you see the target 80-85deg temp). with any of the rotors i would time the motor 25deg, gear it at 5.7 overall and start turning it up. with the LRP you can start the timing at value 4 and go up one step at a time measuring the temp all the way. Again, that is just where i would start, i could be wrong.

Thanks, good luck.

If anyone wants to jump in please feel free (40meters is 130ft) and 85c is 185f.

Originally Posted by MD
Hi Paul,
I have an Xray 008 I've been attempting to run in VTA and my car is very loose on power on exit. It has the locked front diff or spool. I have tried just about everything; ride height, camber, shock oil, springs, more rear toe, and if I have good tires on the front and back the car is loose on exit. If I use bald front vintage tires and good tires on the back it's better. But, at a VTA race there has to be some tread on both the front and rear. Thanks.
Mike
(Hadley RC Club)
Hi Mike. First i would make sure that your front wheelbase is short (front arms all the way back), and make sure that your rear wheelbase is long (rear arms all the way back). also make sure that your steering bell-crank (Notches) is full short, after that i would try 2deg caster blocks and or a 1.4mm rear sway bar. All of those should help a lot. if it persists then place 14grams of weight in the front bumper (more forward weight will help).

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
Hey Paul,

I hope you had a relaxing time at the Nationals and enjoyed your stay.

Can you share your setup for that race?

Thanks,
I will be posting a set up soon. Thanks

Originally Posted by Diggity
Yo Paul, Its Damon.... I just sent you a PM, check it out and get back with me.
yup