R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
goehm
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benicetofatkids
so im putting my truck together to race for the first time this week and i was informed i might need a glitch capacitor for my car. 1st off i have been out of racing for so long i dont even know what a capacitor is and what the purpose of it and second i have no clue which one to get if do need one and how to hook it up.

so here is what im running

running the tekin rx8 esc, tekin pro 4 redline motor 4600kv, spektrum dx3r pro radio, spektrum 3100 receiver, and a Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital steering Servo-savsc1258tg. i was told because of my servo i would need it. again i have no clue what it is and if i do need it. all the help i can get would be appreciated! thanks!
Seems the issue is the power draw of the Savox servo and receiver brownout like issues from various ESC BECs. Some ESCs have more consistent/higher rated internal BECS and may eliminate the problem before it rears it's head. However, the issue has been most prevalent with Spektrum gear. Since you have Spektrum and Savox, I think that's why they were saying you need the cap (or ideally, a BEC). But I do notice you have the SR3100 receiver which is DSM2. Most of the people I saw with issues had the SR300 receiver (DSM/DSM1). The DSM2 style receivers seem to be much more tolerant so you may be OK.

I ended up running Savox with SR3100 just fine in my SCTE. However, in my 8ight with the same setup I couldn't get by even using a cap. I didn't want to run an external BEC so I ditched Savox and went with a less power hungry servo (Hitec).

So - if the capacitor doesn't work, you might be looking at an external BEC. Start cheap and easy first - just try it. Then if it doesn't work throw a cap at it (95% chance that someone has one at the track lying around for you to try). And then if that fails, the external BEC should solve it for sure.

Tekin/Randy Pike pops in every so often when people have issues and are running Tekin gear. I think he was instructing someone previously on installing a BEC with a Tekin ESC (IE: what ESC wires to disconnect at the receiver). You might want to search his name on this thread for more information (note this is not a Tekin issue, but Tekin could help solve it).